Buy me coffee!
Written by Jerome Esperanza Monday, 26 August 2013 17:24
How to best treat Page not found errors, 404 and 403 pages in Drupal 6 and 7? Consider using the following modules which has a lot of good redirects, custom text, URL conversion, admin pages restriction, among other features good for both search engines and user experience.
Global Redirect has functionalities such as:
If enabled, this option will remove the trailing slash from requests. This stops requests such as example.com/node/1/ failing to match the corresponding alias and can cause duplicate content. On the other hand, if you require certain requests to have a trailing slash, this feature can cause problems so may need to be disabled.
- Non-clean to Clean
If enabled, this option will redirect from non-clean to clean URL (if Clean URL's are enabled). This will stop, for example, node 1 existing on both example.com/node/1 AND example.com?q=node/1.
- Remove Trailing Zero Argument:
If enabled, any instance of "/0" will be trimmed from the right of the URL. This stops duplicate pages such as "taxonomy/term/1" and "taxonomy/term/1/0" where 0 is the default depth. There is an option of limiting this feature to taxonomy term pages ONLY or allowing it to effect any page. By default this feature is disabled to avoid any unexpected behavior
- Menu Access Checking
If enabled, the module will check the user has access to the page before redirecting. This helps to stop redirection on protected pages and avoids giving away secret URL's. By default this feature is disabled to avoid any unexpected behavior
- Case Sensitive URL Checking
If enabled, the module will compare the current URL to the alias stored in the system. If there are any differences in case, the the user will be redirected to the correct URL.
- Language Path Checking
If enabled, the module will check that the page being viewed matches the language in the URL or the system default. For example, viewing a French node while the site is in English will cause a redirect to the English node.
- Add Canonical Link
If enabled, will add a canonical link to each page.
- Set Content Location Header
If enabled, will add a Content-Location header.
- Taxonomy Term Path Handler
If enabled, any request to a taxonomy/term/[tid] page will check that the correct path is being used for the term's vocabulary.
- Frontpage Redirect Handler
If enabled, any request to the frontpage path will redirect to the site root.
Whatever you set as the path of the front page on the Site Information settings page will redirect to the site root (e.g. "node" or "node/1" and also its alias (e.g. in case you have set "node/1" as your home page but that page also has an alias "home")).
- Ignore Admin Path
If enabled, any request to the admin section of the site will be ignored by Global Redirect.
This is useful if you are experiencing problems with Global Redirect and want to protect the admin section of your website. NOTE: This may not be desirable if you are using path aliases for certain admin URLs.
Search 404 has these features:
- Jump directly to the search result when there is only one result which works with Core, Apache Solr, Lucene and Xapian searches. An HTTP status of 301 or 302 will be returned for this redirect.
- Jump directly to the first search result even when there are multiple results
- Works only with Core, Apache Solr, Lucene and Xapian searches. An HTTP status of 301 or 302 will be returned for this redirect.
- Use a 301 Redirect instead of 302 Redirect
- This applies when the option to jump to first result is enabled and also for search404 results pages other than for Core, Apache Solr, Lucene and Xapian.
- Show left and right sidebars in page when a 404 search occurs
- Do a "Google CSE" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Do a "Google CSE Advanced" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Do a "Search By Page" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Do a "Fuzzy Search" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Requires "Fuzzy Search" module to be enabled. If using both Core search and Fuzzy Search, do not use "search" as your fuzzysearch results path.
- Do a "Search" with custom path instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Redirect the user to a Custom search path to be entered below. Can be used to open a view with path parameter.
- Custom search path with select variables replaced with the search keys from the URL.
- Disables auto search
- Disables automatically searching for the keywords when a page is not found and instead show the populated search form with the keywords. Useful for large sites to reduce server loads.
- Disables the Drupal error message when search results are shown on a 404 page.
CustomError is a similar module to Search 404 which enables you to present and display a custom Page not Found error message, among other nifty functionalities.
|< Prev||Next >|
i-Build.PH Web Services
i-Build.PH offers webhosting, web design, development, SEO, training and consultancy services. Visit us at i-Build.PH.
Binary Republic Tutorials
Binary Republic is your online source of computer tutorials on programming, software and computer-related topics on .Net, ASP.net, Database, Java, Linux, Microcontrollers, Open Source, Photoshop, PHP, Tech News, Web Design, Web Development, Wireless technology, among others. Visit the website blog at BinaryRepublic.com.
Magento E-Commerce Philippines
We're Joomla Version 3 Ready!
Magento Latest Articles
How to reset, recover or change Magento administrator password If for some reason you have completely forgotten your Magento administrator password and would like to recover, or change, your password, you may do this easily via your database manager like PHPMyadmin....
PHP extension "curl" must be loaded error while installing Magento While installing Magento ver. 184.108.40.206 on local machine using WampServer Version 2.1, encountered error in Configuration step: PHP extension "curl" must be loaded. Please set all required settings...
- [FIXED] Fatal error Call to undefined function dpm drupal-Fatal-error-Call-to-undefined-function-dpm
- Drupal - User warning: The following module is missing from the file system: media_wysiwyg_view_mode
- [SOLVED] How to remove JEM Joomla Event Manager copyright
- [SOLVED] Joomla Chronoforms all e-mails and form submissions are sent as Root User localhost
- [FIXED] WordPress Yoast SEO XML Sitemap Page missing or not found error
- [SOLVED]Joomla error:Deprecate...
I'm really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, its rare to ...
Posted by: Smithe567
- Drupal Newsletter Mailers, Ema...
Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day. It will always be helpful to read through articles from other authors and use something from their websites. Also vis...
Posted by: inspirational
- Joomla Definition of Terms / G...
Great article.Thank you so much. Really, helpful information.
Posted by: web design hyderabad
- [Resolved] FileZilla FTP error...
This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!
Posted by: vuelos baratos lan
- Warning: file_get_contents err...
WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Posted by: Zelma
- Warning: file_get_contents err...
I really like it when people get together and share ideas. Great website, keep it up!
Posted by: get traffic
- Joomla 2.5 Fatal error: Class ...
I am still stuck with it, disable/enable k2 user didn't work to me. I can not access to administrator/ interface but checked ordering field in _extensions and all my K2 extensions plugins have 0 order...
Posted by: spideep
- [SOLVED] Drupal error-Notice: ...
thank its relay help solving the problem thanks
Posted by: ashutosh
- Joomla 2.5 Fatal error: Class ...
It worked:) Thank You very much. Setting order did'nt work, I had to disable K2 user plugin and then enable it but thank's to Your article I got a direction:)
Posted by: Barto
- Drupal 7, how to setup, instal...
Hi Michael, would you mind sharing screenshots of what is being shown when you click the browse server button? Some notes: Have you tried cross-browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc) just to rule out browse...
Posted by: Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress Web Developer, SEO Training