Written by Jerome Esperanza Monday, 26 August 2013 17:24
How to best treat Page not found errors, 404 and 403 pages in Drupal 6 and 7? Consider using the following modules which has a lot of good redirects, custom text, URL conversion, admin pages restriction, among other features good for both search engines and user experience.
Global Redirect has functionalities such as:
If enabled, this option will remove the trailing slash from requests. This stops requests such as example.com/node/1/ failing to match the corresponding alias and can cause duplicate content. On the other hand, if you require certain requests to have a trailing slash, this feature can cause problems so may need to be disabled.
- Non-clean to Clean
If enabled, this option will redirect from non-clean to clean URL (if Clean URL's are enabled). This will stop, for example, node 1 existing on both example.com/node/1 AND example.com?q=node/1.
- Remove Trailing Zero Argument:
If enabled, any instance of "/0" will be trimmed from the right of the URL. This stops duplicate pages such as "taxonomy/term/1" and "taxonomy/term/1/0" where 0 is the default depth. There is an option of limiting this feature to taxonomy term pages ONLY or allowing it to effect any page. By default this feature is disabled to avoid any unexpected behavior
- Menu Access Checking
If enabled, the module will check the user has access to the page before redirecting. This helps to stop redirection on protected pages and avoids giving away secret URL's. By default this feature is disabled to avoid any unexpected behavior
- Case Sensitive URL Checking
If enabled, the module will compare the current URL to the alias stored in the system. If there are any differences in case, the the user will be redirected to the correct URL.
- Language Path Checking
If enabled, the module will check that the page being viewed matches the language in the URL or the system default. For example, viewing a French node while the site is in English will cause a redirect to the English node.
- Add Canonical Link
If enabled, will add a canonical link to each page.
- Set Content Location Header
If enabled, will add a Content-Location header.
- Taxonomy Term Path Handler
If enabled, any request to a taxonomy/term/[tid] page will check that the correct path is being used for the term's vocabulary.
- Frontpage Redirect Handler
If enabled, any request to the frontpage path will redirect to the site root.
Whatever you set as the path of the front page on the Site Information settings page will redirect to the site root (e.g. "node" or "node/1" and also its alias (e.g. in case you have set "node/1" as your home page but that page also has an alias "home")).
- Ignore Admin Path
If enabled, any request to the admin section of the site will be ignored by Global Redirect.
This is useful if you are experiencing problems with Global Redirect and want to protect the admin section of your website. NOTE: This may not be desirable if you are using path aliases for certain admin URLs.
Search 404 has these features:
- Jump directly to the search result when there is only one result which works with Core, Apache Solr, Lucene and Xapian searches. An HTTP status of 301 or 302 will be returned for this redirect.
- Jump directly to the first search result even when there are multiple results
- Works only with Core, Apache Solr, Lucene and Xapian searches. An HTTP status of 301 or 302 will be returned for this redirect.
- Use a 301 Redirect instead of 302 Redirect
- This applies when the option to jump to first result is enabled and also for search404 results pages other than for Core, Apache Solr, Lucene and Xapian.
- Show left and right sidebars in page when a 404 search occurs
- Do a "Google CSE" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Do a "Google CSE Advanced" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Do a "Search By Page" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Do a "Fuzzy Search" search instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Requires "Fuzzy Search" module to be enabled. If using both Core search and Fuzzy Search, do not use "search" as your fuzzysearch results path.
- Do a "Search" with custom path instead of a Drupal Search when a 404 occurs
- Redirect the user to a Custom search path to be entered below. Can be used to open a view with path parameter.
- Custom search path with select variables replaced with the search keys from the URL.
- Disables auto search
- Disables automatically searching for the keywords when a page is not found and instead show the populated search form with the keywords. Useful for large sites to reduce server loads.
- Disables the Drupal error message when search results are shown on a 404 page.
CustomError is a similar module to Search 404 which enables you to present and display a custom Page not Found error message, among other nifty functionalities.
|< Prev||Next >|
Binary Republic is your online source of computer tutorials on programming, software and computer-related topics on .Net, ASP.net, Database, Java, Linux, Microcontrollers, Open Source, Photoshop, PHP, Tech News, Web Design, Web Development, Wireless technology, among others. Visit the website blog at BinaryRepublic.com.
We're Joomla Version 3 Ready!
- [SOLVED] Drupal 403 page error, menu alias directing to persistent deleted menu and node's alias
- Superscript and Subscript html tagging not working in Drupal 6 theme using WYSIWYG and CKEditor, CSS fix
- Drupal 7, how to display missing Printer, email and PDF versions icons in Views pages or listings
- Drupal 7 - Navbar: Underscore library is not present, installed version 1.4.4 is not supported
- Drupal 7, how to setup, install and integrate IMCE upload in CKEditor to avoid issues like Access denied, directory path folder permissions, profiles, etc.
- Drupal 7, how to setup, instal...
Hello Jerome! Thanks for useful article. IMCE is installed on my site, but the field of IMCE browser fills only half of the pop-up window. That is why I have scrolling in preview. How to make IMCE bro...
Posted by: Godwin
- How to enable/turn on/off Goog...
Wow, that's what I was searching for, what a data! present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this web site.
Posted by: pay as you go
- Cannot login to Joomla offline...
been looking for this answer a minute! Wow im fast... Than you a lot. I have some other way to do this, but just curious about GID, wich is not the ID, but the group of users. Best regards.
Posted by: erm3nda
- Search Engine Optimization
Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog site is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot...
Posted by: tattoo rotary
- [SOLVED] Drupal error message ...
8) Very big thanks!!!
Posted by: Olya
- Drupal Camp Manila 2013, Phili...
With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement? My website has a lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outso...
Posted by: google plus
- [SOLVED] How to Delete All Com...
Posted by: Chuyu
- [SOLVED] How to Delete All Com...
thanks, very usefull
Posted by: آنتی ویروس
- [SOLVED] AJAX HTTP error occur...
Je ѕuis entièrement Ԁ'accord avec vous
Posted by: télécharger film
- Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, SEO...
I'll right away seize your rss feed as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me understand so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.
Posted by: www.moodle.